View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #1350
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
LOL, there are a lot of reasons to class the car in any number of places, but that is (pardon my french) fucking stupid.

"We are classing it in SS because maybe one day there will be a ludicrous mode, and also we don't want to rock the boat by dropping it into the class that fits it best."

EDIT: Also monstrously stupid is the idea that the Taycan and the Model 3 (and 2.0 Roadster?) are somehow naturally in the same class because they are both EVs. Are all ICE cars classed together? Or even all V8s? I mean, the Taycan is going to be a pheonomonally more capable performance car than the Model 3 because it is a sportscar that costs more than 2X as much. Like the GT3 RS, actually, which is also in SS for some reason.

I mean, come the fuck on. If the Taycan is going to be classed in SS, that's about the best reason possible to class the Model 3 somewhere else.

EDIT to EDIT:

I'm glad I don't have time to autocross anymore, because dealing with this kind of "logic" would make me put my head through a wall.
Okay, so what's your alternative proposal that maintains at least a passing resemblance to consistency in preserving competitive balance in healthy classes?

I think your posts have described a position of, "Leave it where it is, if letting the very small number of people that want to run the car drive away the comparatively very large number of people that want to drive other cars and, unlike Tesla drivers, have been showing up, too bad."

I'm sure you wouldn't characterize it like that, but that's what it sounds like.

I do wonder how my own plans influence my thinking. The car I'm probably going to buy would have competed with it directly in 2019 and done horribly at most events just because of weather. At the same time, that was my plan when I expected it to stay in the class. i didn't think it was the right decision to put it there originally, but once made...okay.

The more I've thought about it, the more I've been thinking this is a very good correction in line with the program's goals which include favoring cars that people show up in over cars that might be a good fit, but come with tons of uncertainty, doubt, inspire fear...and people really don't show up in.

There were 53 drivers in BS at Nats last year, 6 in Teslas. At the other eight National Champ Tour events, 5 of 77 drivers were in Teslas. 12 of 101 drivers across 11 Pro Solo events.

I have no insights into what's going to happen, but if I had to guess, I'd be least surprised by a single EV class in 2021 growing to 3-5 EV classes by 2030 with the number of classes dependent on how many sporty EV car models exist by then.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote