View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 12:30 AM   #945
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Did JV cut apart a Model 3 and a Model S and create a mix of the two?
Did he cut up a Model 3? In a manner of speaking, I suppose.

There were four Teslas at today's event. An X and 3 3s. The 3s were listed as Tesla 3-P75D+, Tesla Model 3, and Asgardian Sparkles (which rumatt and JST tell me was a Performance w/o Performance Upgrade Package). Sparkles was the only one driven by a decent driver and it was a good bit slower than me in my Camaro.

Tires were definitely a factor, but not as much as they would have on a totally dry course in 80 degree weather. It was low 50s when we ran, mostly cloudy and the course was partly dry, a bit damp in places and wet here and there. I'm on wide tires made for autocross and Sparkles was on the 235 Michelin MX whatever All Seasons.

The car can probably take 245s, but I'm not sure about 255s. Maybe the tiniest chance in hell that wheels taking full advantage of the 7mm offset allowance would allow 265s, but I wouldn't expect it to work. There's almost no room for clearance in there.

I saw Sparkles do one run and it looked okay, but not special. I didn't have a chance to talk to the driver after we ran, but will soon, I'm sure.

I did not see the other two 3s. They ran in the afternoon after I left, but their times were not impressive.

Quote:
Unrelated [and you'll probably want to tune out for this part clyde...]
I drove the car from manhattan to the lake house tonight while dark and rainy. Visibility sucked. I used autopilot as much as I could out of morbid curiosity. It was really impressive. I just sat back, kept my hands on the wheel, and watched for problems. It was shockingly relaxing and didn't feel unsafe because I had plenty of time to react if it did something stupid.

I had to intervene 3 times in a 75 minute drive. (merging cars, construction zones, etc)

Overall I'm really happy with the car. It's relaxing and comfortable on the highway, yet still a blast on back roads. A rare combo.

Oh, and I can't believe Elon is giving money back. I mean, I'll take it. But what an idiotic situation he created. He needs to stay off twitter.
If I had it, I'd try it, too, I'm sure. But I'd use it with a hefty dose of caution and not trust it be totally capable. Sounds like you did, too. What scares me for most people is your comment about you finding it "shockingly relaxing" and not feeling unsafe. You know better. Others don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
That would more commonly be referred to as a P3D+ -- same thing JST and rumatt have (but black…)
It's just stupid. Tesla isn't the only one with stupid naming and stupid customers with stupid naming ideas. But it's stupid.

And I list my car at some autocrosses as "half the bangers pony car" instead of Camaro, so I know what I'm talking about.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote