View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 09:54 PM   #943
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I drove the car from manhattan to the lake house tonight while dark and rainy. Visibility sucked. I used autopilot as much as I could out of morbid curiosity. It was really impressive. I just sat back, kept my hands on the wheel, and watched for problems. It was shockingly relaxing and didn't feel unsafe because I had plenty of time to react if it did something stupid.

I had to intervene 3 times in a 75 minute drive. (merging cars, construction zones, etc)
That's very cool. I'm not surprised that an American manufacturer, Tesla in this case, but could have been a different one, is cracking the best software/UI. To put it very roughly, Germans make incredible machines but have trouble with software. I find swathes of the idrive and equivalent porsche menus unused. In some ways, even Jeep/Chrysler Uconnect was pretty decent.

Was it like cruise control++ and lane assist++ as in you sat back for the highway and road portions, but actually did the driving in Manhattan, and the dark difficult bits to your house? Or did you only intervene 3 times the WHOLE way, including city streets, red lights, turns etc? Like just watched it drive, given an address taking exits etc.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote