Thread: NYC Area auto-x
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I assume you meant decreasing the SNR.

For someone who has the auto-x course visualization experience/skill down, more cones may be worse. I've done a few manufacturer events where there were cones on all sides, and I found that to remove the first step, though it does look 'busy' and is certainly not preferable to a simple road or track (which are essentially very similar to each other).

I don't mean to put autocrossing down by calling it contrived. All track driving is to some degree or another, contrived. It's just whether you have fun or not. Kind of bummed that I didn't enjoy it, but at least it was without a doubt. All morning I wished I was on the bike instead, even with the wind.

I like playing on the adhesion limit of a car, primarily in the snow. A late night drive to Lake Placid with a foot on the interstate and no one around is still a fond memory. As I didn't have the auto-x visualization down, I didn't have the time/processing power to really enjoy/play with the car. Most of my thinking was "Shit! Where's that next cone and the one after that?". And just when you're getting warmed up, it's over. Sort of like a lap dance.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote