View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 01:26 AM   #5
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
So I entered my V1's serial number in the form and it says this [...]
It's nice that they're willing to give me a discount. I'm guessing most other companies don't do this. But I think there's no arguing that their claim underlined above is flat out false.
Not really, just like the "We can repair ANY piece of test equipment, guaranteed!" people. If it isn't repairable, they just buy another used one on eBay and sell it to you at a markup.

There have been 2 precedents for this at V1 - the first was when they added laser support and switched to a larger case with openings for the laser photodetectors, and then when they miniaturized the board and used a case the same size as the original, but with the laser windows. Both of those required a complete unit swap.

This one is a tad more fishy than those two, since they are still (AFAIK) using the same case. But perhaps one-by-one upgrading of older units by opening them and changing the whole circuit board would cost more than just sending complete units off the regular production line.

I seem to recall the cost for a software-only upgrade was something like $70, so the $289 isn't completely out of line.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote