View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

wtf is lexus thinking with the new IS?

They are already the laggards in a shrinking market segment, yet they choose to come to the party with a barely warmed over version of a 10 year platform? They barely even changed the interior- and of course are still using the same engine lineup. I could see following this strategy in a mainstream brand, but for a premium brand it just seems like shooting yourself in the foot.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...edan-revealed/

That being said, I kinda like the looks. But if they just want to milk this aging platform FCA-style they'd probably be better off just badging it as a Toyota Altezza or something and cutting the price. Plus, i remember reading an article that mentioned Toyota is still investing in sedans (a la the new Camry) as they see other brands exiting the market is creating an opportunity. Yet-- they invest nothing in their premium sedans.

Maybe i've just had too much coffee this morning, but the IS is a car that always wanted to like. Interesting styling, toyota reliabilty and Lexus customer service. But there have always been fatal flaws too. It's like they are just looking for an excuse to cancel it.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote