View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, well, these conclusions all sound very familiar. A two-seater is a remarkably impractical extravagance when you don't drive very much and must carry three people during the week.

However, with one kid, a four door really isn't strictly necessary. I carry my daughter to day care quite often in the Mini (did it today, AAMOF), and while it's slightly more awkward than doing it in the BMW, it's not that big of a deal. As long as you have a bigger car to travel in, a smaller two-door is fine (at least in my experience).

I came very close to buying 2 different used 911s. At the end of the day, I couldn't justify the cost. You might not be feeling it yet, but there will likely come a point in the not-too-distant future where the idea of spending that much money on a used car seems irresponsible, given all of the other expenses that will abound.

Personally, if I were facing your constraints, I would get a 335i 4-door and a Mini Cooper S.
LOL.

Well, I'm not opposed to a 911 - we'd be talking 996 here, and obviously (and sadly) not a GT3. Well, maybe with luck a base '05 997. As an absolute stretch, I may consider a 996TT but I really doubt it would happen. If I replace the 330i, spending ~$50K is not verboten. Now, spending $50K on a new car with a warranty vs. a used, pricey car to maintain with no warranty is a big difference.

If I replaced the ZHP with an MCS my wife would love me forever (hopefully she would regardless ). But it's hard for me to not think ZHP-to-MCS is a downgrade, and a loss of praticality for sure (nevermind that I'd have to cough up about $10K on the swap.

I could upgrade to a 335i. But would the driving be MORE fun? Faster sure, but more fun? Further, would it be $30K more fun? Why not use that $$$ and buy JV's car instead (or similar - like a base '05 987) and keep the ZHP?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote