View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Yup, more waffling...

I mentioned a few months back I couldn't really make any decisions until my wife got back on her routine of working and I got to see how things developed with dropping my son at daycare, etc.

Well, it's early still, but 3 weeks have gone by since my wife got back to work and a few things (non of them surprising) are evident.

I need to drive a car with 4 doors Monday thru Friday. Soon my wife will stop working form home once a week, and it will eb off to daycare 3 times a week, and grandma's twice a week. I don't think I'd want to deal with a coupe's back seat.

As a result, whatever sportscar I get will be driven only on weekends, and even then half the times I drive on weekends the family and/or dog are coming along or I need a roomy vehicle to run an errand, so it's not as if ALL weekend drives could be taken care of with a 2-seater.

Obvious conclusions:

-I need a somewhat fun 4-door car.
-Whatever I spend on a sportscar has to be money I could not possibly miss (meaning not a lot).

Well, one could argue I already have the fun 4-door, and I do. So that's taken care of (at least in the short to medium term).

On the 2nd point, I think it woud be positively silly to spend anything more than 30K on a car that would be driven so little. In fact, it kind of begs the question... Why the hell do I even bother with a separate 2-seater?

Should I instead get a used 911 and deal with the rear seat access every morning? Should I just upgrade to a new/different/more fun sedan?

Should I go 180-degrees and add a wrangler unlimited to have top down fun with the whole family and fix any shortcommings of the V70R? Should just drive the V70R everyday and add the sports car? (I would be OK with driving the wagon daily if it were a 5er stickshift. But it isn't, and we're not swapping the V70R for a while)

So... thoughts?

Ahh, nothing like waffling in the morning.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote