Thread: tires for M3
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #37
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Conti DW's: I've had them on my E46 twice now (17" wheels) and I liked them. Good mix of comfort and decent but not ridiculous grip. So I also go them for the Cayman on 18" wheels (down from 19" stock) and I don't like them nearly as much. They don't feel like a good fit for the car. There's a noticeable loss in steering precision over the the 19" Potenza RE050A's. Of course, how much of that is the wheel size, I don't really know.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL: For the first time in my life I ponied up for Michelin PSS's for the E46 (again, on 17's). I wish I had stuck with the DW's. They are noticeably stiffer over bad roadsthan the DW's. It makes no sense for a car like this. I suppose they're grippier, but I didn't need more grip. It's not worth the loss in ride quality.

But even with the DW's, I don't get to the limits of grip in the Cayman without driving like an absolute maniac. JV you mentioned sliding around on them in the boxster. It must be your heavy convertible top motor and my lightweight aluminum doors making all the difference.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote