View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #133
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
That story about the Talon is a crazy one, it had a gas gauge issue and they rebuilt the entire car ... what else was wrong with it ?
A few months after I got it, it had a recall for a "Pinto problem" - a chance of going up in a fireball if rear-ended. The recall replaced the fuel tank assembly. They screwed up something with the fuel level float sensor and they "fixed" it by splicing a resistor into the wiring under the rear seat, passenger side. That caused the gauge to read empty when it wasn't. They also screwed up putting the rear suspension back together after. When I brought it back, they had it for something like 4 months, during which time they pulled the instrument cluster, glued the fuel gauge needle at "full" and put the dash back in with drywall screws. They also left it outside where it got covered in bird crap, dust, and some vandalization. I told the dealer I wasn't going to take it back like that, and they said they were just going to park it on the street and let it collect tickets if I didn't take it.

Did you read my "totaled twice in 101 miles" post in that thread (a few posts before the story we're talking about here)?

Most Eagle dealers seem to have been Ford dealers, back from the AMC days. Maybe that had something to do with why they had a problem getting parts and doing the work properly. Or maybe they were just useless...
Quote:
Also the attendant at gas station called you an asshole ? Jeez I would’ve freaked out on the guy ...
This is New Jersey, one of only two states where people are assumed to be too dumb to pump their own gas (Oregon is the other). And the natives are not exactly known for their politeness and charm.
Quote:
I had a 95 Talon too with the turbo engine ... I bought it with very low miles (I think 9k) and a year old and sold it after a few months ... the thing I remember most other than the torque steer which was horrible was it had tons of rattles.
I never had rattles, other than when they left off some rear suspension hardware and things were bouncing around.

The '95 was pretty much the only good year - prior years had so-so styling and enormous turbo lag, while post-95 ones can best be described as "something you'd get your daughter when she went off to college".
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote