View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #36
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I don't need super quick steering but the E36 is absurd. Any one of the more modern E46 racks would be perfectly fine, I think.

I really wish there were more modern cars that I found interesting. I enjoyed my ZHP, but it was just a little too neutered to be interesting, and I was getting to the point where I was working on it all the time. Niggling stuff like airbag lights coming and going, random CELs that would come and go. I had done all the major stuff but it was getting a little tiresome.

An E36, even a well-maintained one, would be as bad or worse in that regard, but they're more engaging to drive which at least buys something. I would need to put a bluetooth audio and handsfree system, plus decent headlights in one if I went that route, but beyond that I think I would be okay with the oldness of it. Maybe not. I don't know. I really enjoyed Nick's car, even when tooling around at speeds where the engine swap wasn't really adding value. I fit in those cars well and am comfortable in them.

I have thought about a turbo Camaro like Clyde got. I probably should drive his to see. It's so cheap that it makes sense to consider one. I can't see myself getting one, but maybe that would change if I drove it.

None of the modern BMW stuff is remotely interesting to me. They all drive like there is a thick layer of wool between the driver and the chassis (minus the ones that are out of my price range). They're not designed to be worked on easily and anecdotally they develop a lot of problems as they cross over 80,000 miles, and I find the styling abhorrent. Not for me.

I'm not in love with the way the GTI drives, but they tick a lot of boxes. Cheap, cheap to insure, good fuel economy, reasonably fun to drive, limited slip diff, comfortable seats, manual transmission, good headlights and bluetooth.

I'm going to leave the Boxster parked for a couple weeks and see if I start to really miss driving it before making a decision one way or another.

Last edited by John V; 07-17-2018 at 08:00 AM.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote