View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
anything I should be aware of?

There is a pretty good chance that we're going to trade the e61 in on something relatively soon. We just hit 120k miles, our warranty has expired and we are uneasy with the potential for high cost maintenance on a car that is worth little. We had it for 30 months and put 26K miles per year on it. It served us well, and we don't want it to turn devil this year.

Financially, it looks like we can swap it for one of the below with minimal impact on our monthly expenses. I'm going to take my wife to look at examples of each on Saturday and get her preference on size and usability then start shopping in earnest. Goal is to find the best option for daily driver, weekend long roadtripper. With at least 1 kid in the back, dog in the trunk and bags. Ability to move the boat a few miles would be a plus.

I'd like your feedback on anything I should consider from the below list. On the X cars, we'd get an N55 (which i'm comfortable with). Obviously, the 3 wagon is the 4 cyl, but we like wagons. It seems like X5s are far and away easiest to find and most heavily depreciated. We'll find something in the 30K mile range.

2013 X5 n55 - lots of these in our price range. Last model year of the generation. I know there is a preference here for the dynamic suspension option, but i'm concerned that could be a maintenance issue. If you guys know of anything to definitely look for, stay away from and any major potential future pitfalls, i'd like to hear it.

2014 X3 n55 - seems like the best size, kind of ugly. That's all I know

2014-2015 X1 n55. Probably most enjoyable daily driver

2014-2015 328xiT - I do like wagons... I don't like turbo 4 cylinders, or F30 eps.

I'd consider a non-BMW as well, but honestly I like the ergonomics and familiarity of the interior layout, user experience, etc. I thought about a volvo V60, Audi or Merc wagon or even a Q5, but not too hard.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3

Last edited by Josh (PA); 01-18-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote