View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #13
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
There might be some uneven clutch material deposits on either the pressure plate or the flywheel which could cause the juddering, which could cause the two flywheel masses to get out of sync. Just a guess. Clutches also grip better when they're warmed up, so if it was cold this morning, it might hide the problem.

If there's a single-mass solution for your car I'd probably choose to replace the clutch / FW with that, assuming you take the car in to get the clutch done. There is nothing magic about BMW clutches that requires any specialized labor. Any good indie shop should be able to handle it. It'll be expensive, though.
That's an interesting thought (deposits). It was cold this morning, but the problem was pretty horrific at times over the winter, too. I wonder if doing some gratuitous clutch burning would help "mill" any such deposits off, or just make the problem worse.

Single mass is also an interesting thought, though with this car I'm especially hesitant to do anything not to OEM spec. I'm going to sell it at some point (not soon), and I have a feeling potential buyers for a high mileage 1M are going to be extra anal-retentive about absolutely everything. Even moreso if it goes up on BaT. (Have they even had a 1M yet?)

Good to know there's no special BMW clutch juice required. Thanks.