View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #315
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Here is my post from FB. I can upload the pictures later.

I have the best friends.

So on Friday I had a bit of a drivetrain problem in Lincoln during the SCCA ProSolo Finale practice starts. The output shaft on the RX-8's transmission let go during a burnout attempt. I kind of figured I was done for the Pro (at the least), because I left my spare transmission in Maryland in my rush to get packed after a busy week of work.

Jake Hamfist was on the phone with Carter Thompson as he helped me push the car back to grid, thinking Carter might know of someone with a trans. Those two connected me with James Lockard in Omaha, who met me at his place early Saturday morning before competition and gave me the trans, no questions asked, saying we'd figure out compensation later. Meanwhile Lee Piccione volunteers to bring my spare on his way out from Maryland to exchange with James, but won't be here until Sunday. Sam Strano offers up his car to run on an SSM index, and of course won't let me pay him for it. Jay Bullington offers his car. Erik Strelnieks offers his car, and tries to source a backup trans as well.

I got back to the site Saturday morning with just enough time to check in and go work my assignment. After finishing that I'm a little panicked, because I have maybe an hour to get the transmission in if I'm going to run the morning session. I assume we're not going to make it but when I got back to the car I found a small army waiting for me. Kirk Boston and Clyde Caplan and Sam swapped the trans mounts over and prepared to shorten the input shaft of the gearbox and are there to grab parts and tools. Marisa went to the auto parts store, got gear oil and a pump, and brake fluid to bleed the clutch. And Greg McCance... Greg has never worked on an RX-8 with a four cylinder and an FD trans, but nevertheless figures Saturday morning is a good a time as any to cover his clothes in gear oil, and helps me bench it into place (it isn't light) and get it lined up... which took me the better part of 20 minutes the last time I did this (on a lift). Peter Florance was somehow able to work under these conditions and pumped the clutch while I bled the slave from underneath. We drop the car down and I book it over to grid to see if I've got a chance of running.

I got to grid with maybe ten minutes to spare. Covered in gear oil and not remotely mentally prepared to go attack the course, but with a running car. The car ran great. I drove poorly in the morning, but managed to snag a second place finish in a tough class with some relatively quick runs on day two. Way off the pace from Craig Wilcox, and only in second by virtue of some fast dudes having cone and red light problems (Randall and Eric Anderson) but it is what it is.

I never asked anything from these folks. They all just jumped in to help because they're great people and there's no way it would have gotten done without them. I'm sorry for the long post, but I just had to share.

I have the best friends.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote