Thread: A8L Loaner
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
A8L Loaner

It's an 09, so nearly the tail end of the last generation that ended in '10... I haven't driven the 7er or the S in a year or two, but from what I dimly remember, the a8 is much less of a barge.

Quite a good car, this. Seems to get better mpg's than the croc, about equivalent to most 6-cylinder audi and bmw's. The interior/Nav/MMI is partially behind that of my a4, but it certainly doesn't matter much in this leathered living room in a bank vault. Very comfy with quite acceptable handling (not something I though when I last drove a 7er). I wish I could have sampled the sports seats/suspension on tires that were not pirelli p6's. No car that I have ever driven has been so quiet on the highway. Also the door close thunk is otherworldly... So much so that despite the autotragic (which really doesn't matter much in a car like this other than reliability to my mind) I found myself doing some searches to see where the numbers are at, and you know what you get a lot of car for your money if you spend $40k on a last gen a8. The plutocrat feeling is pretty cool, though it might wear off around Christmas (as it makes the expectations rise). You might have to visit the extended family in the ole' e39.

I would definitely go for the short wheelbase, I currently have no person or thing to place in those awesome rears. Pity that they don't fold, which would have made this the ultimate 1st class ski trip car. I'd most likely want the sports package though I'd have to try it to be sure it doesn't ruin anything.

(The photo is not fair to the a8L's length.. Viewing angle + cayman is in front of a couple of motos. It is longer by several feet.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a8.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	8062  
equ is offline   Reply With Quote