Thread: S54 E30 M3
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #26
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That's awesome. Which mufflers are you using on yours? Have you done any work on figuring out specifics of how it will sound? I'm just sort of curious about whether there's a way to engineer out some of the less pleasant sounds from the S54, or if it's just a happy accident that comes from less restrictive mufflers or whatever.
A lot of the stock sound came from the US headers with the cats plugging them up. The Euro exhaust was much less of a chainsaw-in-a-blender.

Certain mufflers also didn't work at all. Borla has a peculiar tone that sounds absolutely awful on an S54 with headers. (You might remember the TMS Grand Am cars. Just awful.)

I'm running a pair of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers on this exhaust. They're kind of a "least bad" choice of what's out there. They flow weirdly well for what they are (according to tests, better than many straight through mufflers), and actually provide something approaching an adequate level of sound deadening. The downside is that they refuse to make a stainless version, which is infuriating. In the real world, for the kind of use that my cars see, that's not a major issue, mind you.

The catalytic converters are E90 M3 secondary cats. I love these things because they work really well, are very high flow, are very tough, and because people cut them out of M3 exhausts, you can pick them up cheap if you're patient. I'm running them on my E36 as well now.

Unfortunately, in a perfect world, I would have liked to run a center muffler behind the cats. I just couldn't find the space to do it in a way that would make sense. So... This is going to be loud. Hopefully not insane. If it's really insane, I may have to accept a ground clearance penalty and put a small x-pipe muffler where the current X is.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote