View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
New job and impact of longer commute on cars

I'm taking a new job that is ~25 miles from home. This is a big change for me. My current job (started 2 years ago) is 13 miles away but I've been working from home since mid-March. Before that, I spent 12 years at a place 4 miles from home. Before that job (my first job) I spent 6 years at a job 25 miles away, but it was all backroads (50 minutes. Long, but nice country roads.)

Anyway, the new drive is 95% hwy, and thanks to COVID, at least for now they are bound to be fast miles. When I ordered the M3, I was fully expecting to spend many more years at the 4-mile away job.

I hesitate to put all those miles (~11k just for driving to work) on the M3. Of course, naturally, by virtue of winter (where the Miata is my beater) and wanting to change things up, the M3 may not really see more than 8k worth of commuting miles.

But:

1) Should I care that the M3 just went from a 5k mile a year car to a 10k mile a year car? (resale, tires, maintenance, wear & tear, etc.)
2) The Miata is pushing 100k miles and is not a great hwy car. Should I just drive it as much as I can bear it and deal with its wear and tear? Should I sell it in favor of something more practical & better in the winter? Like an VW alltrack or a Golf hatch?

I think I could make it work with a 2:1 M3:Miata split.

Thoughts?

Last edited by FC; 10-08-2020 at 12:33 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote