View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #1346
clyde
Chief title editor

An SEB member (the primary rule making committee) unofficially described reasoning behind the reclassing decision on another forum this morning:

Quote:
I'm not speaking for the SEB, but as an member thereof - I believe we (AC's / SEB) recognize the step-change in automotive technology and we want a class for the Tesla.
I know I do. ... and then there's the Taycan, the trickledown through VW-AG, and the Tesla Roadster, and and... and personally, I love it: we're living in the future of automotive performance we were promised.

From my perspective, the fact the tech/performance is advancing so rapidly make it really hard to predict competitiveness and class appropriately. Tesla is a software company that built a car: with patches, changes, cuts and upgraded features on the fly via OTA as supply, production, software advances, and maintenance/warranty information comes available. Those OTA updates are "scare" our membership (see threads in this very forum), because the timing and performance increases are not predictable.

After Nationals in/around the end of September, Tesla hinted at a Ludicrous mode for the M3Ps, November, it was leaked Telsa had the code for it in the latest OTA updates, and by December, Tesla was preparing for 100kWh batteries and Ludicrous mode. Factor in that Tesla has already temporarily "upped" capacity in their batteries via OTA to allow for longer range and quicker charging in the case of hurricanes, and it is plausible, even likely, that all M3P have more performance available, even if that are not yet "Ludicrous Mode" compatible.

Advancing the M3P to AS appeared to be a knee-jerk-easy-button. However - looking at results from slick or wet sites last year, it was clear that the M3Ps would win AS, BEFORE any further updates. Introducing the M3P would move weather condition and OTA performance update uncertainty into the most popular class in Solo: AS was the largest Street class at 2019 Nationals and among the largest / most stable classes at Tours/Pros etc. (The C6Z is comparatively primitive TC/ABS (GM Ice Mode), and even the Boxster/Cayman isn't in the same league, though it never rains at National Events, amirite?)

Factoring in personal discussions and letters from competitors that had driven the M3P (I have driven one, not in competition) asking for it to be excluded or reclassed - SS isn't considerably faster than AS, but the tech in cars is comparable (eShocks, eDiffs, etc), and therefore I think we made the correct decision as we wait for the complete performance potential of the M3P and other EV players to enter the market.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote