View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 11:39 PM   #1341
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm not seeing how that's different from "how do we prevent them from winning."

Pulling them out of BS makes some sense, I guess, though given the diversity in that class I can see the argument for leaving them there another year to see if they actually are some sort of overdog.

Putting them into SS with things like the GT3 RS is...
The fundamental problem is not every car can have a fair place to play where it can win. You have nine classes to place every car offered for sale in the US in the past 30 years. For the past 20 years, over 220 distinct car models have been available each year. Even if you discard everything that wouldn't generate any autocross interest if everything else were equal, you still wind up with a lot more cars than classes. And that's before the Club subdivides by classing certain options/packages differently as well.

Ultimately, for every car, the rule making bodies have the choice of upsetting an apple cart or burying. Given recent SS turnout at National events in recent years and what results at Nats looked like this year, it's hard to say the 3 Performance is buried in SS. It would have easily trophied at Nats this year. I'd expect to see them do well locally and probably pretty well at most National events, but it's a lot less likely to upset the SS apple cart and even if it does, there are a lot fewer people to piss off there than the other possibilities.

Sporty EV cars are going to need somewhere to play soon where they don't feel buried, but it will lag the market by a few years.

I can sympathize with the thought that they should have been given another year to see what happens just as you can see why it makes sense not to do that. I don't think the decision is a bad one and I'm hard pressed to think of a better one.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote