View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Is the ABS calibration going to be a big issue in competition? I guess when wet, but will you trigger it with sticky tires on the dry?
The 2016-2018 ABS calibrations are prone to enter an "ice mode like state" (some of the GM engineers and test drivers on another forum, while acknowledging the condition exists, are adamant that it not be called "ice mode") in certain common autocross conditions. It's most likely where there is a rapid and hard brake application on a bumpy section or beginning before the car is stable after a quick transitional maneuver.

Basically, vertical chassis motion relative to the wheels puts the car at risk. "Better" shocks reduce the issue significantly, but there really aren't any better shocks available without spending way too much money...and while it reduces the frequency of events, it doesn't eliminate it.

Tires with more grip than OE are part of what cause the events. The computer is calibrated with OE tires and expect OE levels of traction. When it gets to the edge of what the computer thinks the tires can handle an event begins even thought the tires on the car can handle more.

Drivers that initially stab the brakes have more of a problem with it than those that squeeze at initial brake application. On my car, it's only affected me a handful of times, but my codriver has experienced it at least once at almost every event we've done together.

It's a real issue that affects the regular SS Camaros worst. Some really good drivers have run the car and moved on because of it. Like I said, it's an issue in the turbos, but not as bad. The SS 1LEs don't suffer from it as bad because of the magnetic shocks. I think the 2018 1LE got a revised calibration and that might be usable to "fix" the other 2018 cars (not clear that 1) it was re calibrated or 2) if it was, that it can be used...SCCA Solo rules need some kind of documentation from GM to make it ok)

---

I hear you all on what i should do. I don't really understand the Camaro pricing in the new and secondary markets...I'm just trying to roll with it. I'd like to get out of the current car while I can get my money. If I bought a 1LE (new or used) for $30 or a little higher, I'm basically where I would have been two years ago, right?

The ND2 intrigues me a lot and I have to stop myself from thinking about it, lest it gain too much traction.

The more I think, the less money I want to spend and instead set the difference aside for competition budgets. This past year was going to be a big cost year for travel and event entry as planned and it wound up being more expensive than that for a variety of "what are you gonna do? " reasons. For example... $35 or $80 to replace a single missing lugnut?

ALl the money stuff is pretty fresh and I haven't paid my credit card statements covering the past few weeks yet. I imagine it won't be so raw after that.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote