View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #20
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
I'd like to install some sort of storage rack in our garage in CT for the X7 winter / summer tires and wheels (depending on season). Any suggestions? Storing them in a stack in our basement in Boston won't be an option soon.
I have an overhead storage rack from ONRAX. Mine is a simple one that uses shelving-style keyhole rails for height adjustment. That was important to me as my garage ceiling is angled for drainage. They also have a variety of fancier units, including ones that have a motor to lower / raise the whole rack, so you don't have to climb up on a ladder while carrying heavy mounted tires.

For floor storage, I used "Tire Totes" which are available in a variety of brandings. This is an elastic cover that wraps around the tire and has a carrying handle. I also use the optional "wheel felts" to keep the wheels from getting scratched. Back when I would have a dozen or so extra mounted tires in the garage (race car + off-season tires for the E46 wagon) I also had the covers that go over a pile of 4 or 5 tires to keep crud off them. Those were the hardest to find, IIRC.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote