View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #54
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I think battery replacement cost has been discussed here before, but I've forgotten. Thinking in terms of a typical luxury car owner, is a battery replacement a fair substitute for an engine/transmission rebuild/replacement in terms of cost and likelihood? Or is that way off?
In terms of actual cost? It's probably more than that, though I don't know whether anyone has ever actually bought a replacement pack from Tesla yet and paid retail.

But it's also different in terms of risk; in the early years it's much less likely (and Tesla offers an 8 year warranty that covers defects), but I suppose at some point it becomes much more likely.

In theory, there probably will be salvage packs you'll be able to buy in the out years, though I don't know whether Tesla will support those.

The Roadster provides a window into how Tesla may deal with this going forward; at some point they developed an entirely new replacement pack that could go into the Roadster because the old ones were out of production.

I assume, but don't know for sure, that at some point they'd do something similar for the Model S and Model X, but that date is probably a long way off since the current gen packs are still being built.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote