Thread: Ford and Tesla
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2023, 06:30 PM   #25
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
That's a good point... couldn't anyone create an adapter that plugs into the CCS port and then provides an outlet for a Tesla "NACS" plug. Kind of like a "Teslatap" but able to handle DC fast charging? I realize that actually making this work requires Tesla's coooperation since they'd have to allow non Tesla customers to login to the Tesla app and enable a supercharger for a non Tesla car. But..that should be just an extension of what they started to offer with their "magic docks" for CCS cars, no?
That’s basically it. An adapter to fit the plug differences, and a way to “start” charging.

The beauty of the Tesla method is that it’s tied to the car. The Supercharger talks to the car, which then authenticates that the VIN is Supercharger enabled and has a valid payment method. Charging starts within a few seconds, and your card on file with Tesla is billed when charging is done (and the car will tell you how much the charge costs).

For the Magic Docks, Tesla just built in the adapter to the Supercharger. You have to activate the charger from the mobile app, which releases the charger cable with the Magic Dock locked to the cable. Plug in and go. Fairly similar to how other CCS chargers are supposed to work.

It will be interesting to see if Ford activation at Superchargers works more like Tesla or more like Magic Dock. I suspect the Ford Tesla adapter will basically be a Magic Dock with a slightly simpler mechanism (since it won’t have to lock to the Supercharger…).

We have the CCS adapter and have used it a couple times. Basically you can put the adapter into the car, plug the charger cable into the adapter, then activate the charger. Problem is activating the charger is a hit or miss. I’ve been successful at a couple different Volta sites and at a car wash near the house (which isn’t networked — the car wash attendant activates it). But I have not been successful at the one Electrify America station I visited — but I was trying to use their POS on the charger; next time I’ll just use the EA app…