View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #117
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
For most companies, they won't have any data for these cars in their system so it will default to "cost new" rating which essentially means it is rated based on original MSRP rather than specific claims history on that model. Eventually it'll catch up as they get more popular, but my gut tells me you'll get reasonable rates for a car that expensive.

And Electric is a small carrier. Out of curiosity, you might want to try getting a quote through a few larger carriers for your current car vs a Tesla to see what they say. Odds are the big guys are more likely to have their acts together which would suggest their rates will be higher. The small companies will likely treat it as a default model, or decline to write it at all.
Now that I have the VIN, I was able to get an insurance quote from Electric... Sounds like they did the "cost new" rating approach you described, although they applied an EV discount.

Quote is $25/month higher than our current policy -- which is about what I was expecting. Our premium went down ~$30/month at the start of the current policy, so still less than we were paying just a few months ago...