View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
The X5 I'm in the process of buying is not pre-drilled for a front plate and I'd like to keep it that way. I know at least one person here has used a tow hook plate mount and was wondering if people had any other ideas or could point me toward a reputable company.

Thanks.
I used one on my E90 M3. It was actually a "GOMINIGO" plate holder that I bought for the Mini (but they drilled the Mini anyway because they couldn't follow directions).

The one that I used did not have a backing plate that covered the whole plate--instead it used a pretty cheap stamped steel bracket that just went across the top of the plate. As a result, the plate was constantly getting bent. I've seen others that do use a backing plate that goes across the whole licenses plate, which might fix that problem.

It kept my bumper hole-free, but I'm not convinced it actually made the car look better. The combination of the off-center mount and the bent up plate led to more than one person asking me what the hell was wrong with my licenses plate.

I'm not sure I'd use one again.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote