View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 10:26 PM   #50
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I can understand that many people can't drive more than a couple hours at a stretch for physical or mental acuity issues. I also know that I'm rarely one of them. There was one time driving back from Toledo to DC, I had to stop to pee at almost every service area, but that was weird. 300 miles in a single stretch isn't enough to even think about. If I start a trip in the morning after a normal night of sleep, it's 13-14 hours before I need more of a stop than it takes to fill a tank of gas and pee. 30 minutes and some food and I'm good for another 3-4 hours before it might start getting iffy. When I was younger, I would have thought that was old and slow. Today, I recognize this probably isn't normal.

300 real world miles in moderately adverse conditions still seems like a tipping point. A charger network comparable in coverage to today's gas stations still seems like the other.
Your stamina is impressive. I like to think I'm good at long drives, but at about the 10 hour mark I often start to fade mentally enough that I'm not that comfortable pushing farther. I can, and have, pushed much farther in a pinch, but if I'm planning a long road trip I usually plan for 9-ish hours per stint.