Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
tl;dr
That's why I included pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Jealous.

I'm going to try very hard to ignore how much fun that must be.
Obviously this isn't for everyone but it's something I enjoy tremendously. The icing on the cake is that on the ~350 total round trip journey we didn't have any serious mechanical breakdown which can put a sour note on the whole thing. Most of the milage was gravel road and freeway but we did maybe 50+ miles of 4x4 trail. Which may not sound like a lot but when you're doing 2-3 mph it's quite a bit of trail time. Typically 16-20 miles of Jeep trails can make for a full day of Jeep'n. Of course, I've been on runs where it's taken us 8 hours to do a 1 mile up and back trail. Lotta winching on that one.

In any case, a big part of what makes this place special to me is the scenery. Closer to home on the western side of the mountains the Jeep trails run through dense forests so that, while you're still on a mountain, you don't really get the great views. Over in the Manastash region it's like the world just expands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito
Did you guys see a Subaru on your trip??
Holy cow. That's insane. Talk about trashing a car. But. . . I've always really wanted to see just how well a normal car would do on the trails. Now I know. Ouch!

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote