View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
My gt4 ownership and Cayman R almost-ownership are separated by 3 to 4 years.

For me - out of the box - the gt4 had too much power and grip to be fun on the street. And the grip - out of the box, without messing with tires and sways - was less even/neutral than a 987 CR or a 981S. This is due to the 295/245 widths (instead of the customary 265/235) and the special sauce high grip rear suspension (where on corner exit most 987/981 start giving up).

The tires MPSC2 were not fun on the street, exactly as Savage Geese describes in that and his performance tire video. That meant that on top $100k, I would have to fork over $$$ for a set of MPSS, either on original wheels or other wheels and on top of that store that set. Just not the car for me. I disagree with Savage Geese on the sound. It didn't sound bad, but the 3.8 in the mid-engine space did not create the symphony that the 3.4 creates nor 3.8 in the 997/991.

I haven't driven a Cayman R in/near NYC. My test drives were far flung. I found it firm but not harsh. I found the exhaust just right but it did not PSE 'on' or the option at all IMHO. The power level and tires are better for the street and the steering feel is better than any 981, including gt4. The 981's have better shifters and brakes. The 987 and thus CR cabin is smaller, simpler and a bit more retro. I'd still want one (ideally in peridot and definitely without the fixed buckets or PDK).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote