View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #35
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Yea, the pictures and fake M badge do suck. I had the current lease holder send me more pics off line and they were all of similar viewpoints. He sent a walk around video and the whole thing was shot from about a foot away. I don't think he was trying to conceal anything, just was an awful I-phone photographer.

The idea is this will be my wife's daily driver for the summer, and the girls will have access to the e46 wagon and the X5 as needed.

We've been PILING on miles on the X5, (bought it Feb 2017 with ~46k... it now has 85k) so this will also give us a chance to slow down on the wear and tear of that vehicle.

I didn't realize this, but the GT is based on the long wheelbase 3 series platform sold in China, so it is 4.3" longer than the f31 wagon. I think the rear seat room will be great. I'll post some pics with kid(s) in the back and the dog in the hatch when I get it home. Ultimately, I'd much prefer a true 3 wagon, but this thing is cheap (when you factor in the $$$$ sweetener he is throwing in) and I hate that the 3 wagon doesn't get the N55. I expect the wife will like it a lot. I haven't driven one, but reviews make it sound similar to the e61.

The plan right now is to turn it in at end of lease (Feb 5, 2019). I don't know what the residual is on the lease, but I'm wondering if we really like it if we can work out a trade of the X5 + some limited cash for it. Looking at how low the prices are on used ones and how few BMW sold, I would think they would rather have a nicely equipped X5 on the lot compared to a GT. If not, no biggie, we pay the $350 disposition fee and walk away happy (Hopefully turn in is painless).

I can't really explain it, but there is something incredibly appealing to a short term lease. The car has to be much less of a 'perfect fit' when you're only going use it for 8 months. I don't care that it is ugly, don't fret that the interior is black and exterior is silver (don't like that color combo at all). I didn't need to spend 3 months trying to find the perfect one at the best deal.
I rode in someone's 328 GT once, and yes, the backseat room was near Limo-like. Way more than a 3 wagon due to the longer wheelbase. Too bad they had to make it so homely because it does check so many boxes otherwise.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote