Thread: M3 vs. GTI
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #12
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm kind of done with spending big money on cars like the M3. As FC points out, the extra performance is largely inaccessible in day-to-day driving, and for 5000 miles a year you're paying an awful lot in depreciation for very little driving. The GTI makes a lot more sense. If you want something a little lairier, a Focus RS might be an interesting choice.

I know the solution to everything seems to be "get a Tesla," but why not a Model 3? It splits the cost, and you're already used to owning an EV--the Model 3 will be substantially faster, more fun, and more capable than the eGolf. Plus it's different and interesting, whereas the M3 is just sort of...eh...I don't know. The same thing all over again.
Well, you've had two M3s and FC hasn't had one yet. Maybe it's a rite of passage?

I'm actually really happy with the 2, and couldn't fathom choking down the cost of a new M3 or M4. I would have to go 2 or so years used to rationalize it. Also, I drove the 440 convertible and it just wasn't much fun. The 2 still has a little hooligan in it, a la my E46 M3.

It's a shame they don't bring any of the four-door 2 variants over here.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote