Thread: M3 vs. GTI
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this. Our Mk VI Golf has more space in the backseat than our old M3 did. I know the F80 M3 is bigger than the E90, but the Mk VII GTI is bigger than our Mk VI, too. There is a reason that FWD cars are seen as being more efficient, from a packaging standpoint.

I'm kind of done with spending big money on cars like the M3. As FC points out, the extra performance is largely inaccessible in day-to-day driving, and for 5000 miles a year you're paying an awful lot in depreciation for very little driving. The GTI makes a lot more sense. If you want something a little lairier, a Focus RS might be an interesting choice.

I know the solution to everything seems to be "get a Tesla," but why not a Model 3? It splits the cost, and you're already used to owning an EV--the Model 3 will be substantially faster, more fun, and more capable than the eGolf. Plus it's different and interesting, whereas the M3 is just sort of...eh...I don't know. The same thing all over again.
I keep forgetting about the Tesla, but I am not sure about the timing. When is it due again? Oh wait, there are 247,984 people in line in front of me for one (I made up that number). I also miss shifting.

I do agree the MK7 is plenty roomy. Certainly ~E46 roomy.

Part of me thinks that the next gen M3 may be a nice one to have, but it could have way too many changes (hybrid? AWD? no stick? crazy heavy?). It's also 4-5 years into the future before I'd get one.

I do have about a year to ponder about this stuff.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote