View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 11:58 PM   #1099
JST

Yeah, sorry. I don’t get it. My point always has been that Ford could tweak the settings of the Mustang tomorrow without a MY or package change and that car would continue to be classed where it was, absent action to the contrary. Just like the Tesla. And the example that you give seems so fantastic that I wouldn’t spend time stressing about it. But then again I’m not well enough versed in autocross rule minutiae at this point to be the right person to argue the point with.

My feeling about autocross rules is that they’ve always been arbitrary (as rules ultimately must be). Again, as with all rules, they can be ruthlessly exploited. There was a level of piousness about “keeping costs down” that always rankled me, because if you weren’t ready to spend thousands on tires and mods you couldn’t be competitive, and if you really wanted to win you had to buy whatever car was the class leader, anyway. I honestly don’t think OTA updates will change that materially. It’s going to be years before we get to that point, and by then all cars will be crossovers so it won’t matter.

I was vaguely amused by the idea of a seemingly misclassed Tesla being the hot ticket in DS. Burying it in BS is probably the right thing for SCCA to do; it’s not really an autocross car, anyway.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote