View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Why are you so focused on range? Do you regularly find yourself just a few miles away from empty between charges?
Well, I don't get that low because it's not good for the battery. But I've had several times where I had to charge when I wished I didn't have to.

One cause is that I don't have a charger in my NYC parking space. I'll plan a weekend where I go to the city, then want to make a short trip somewhere, and think "crap, if I do that I'll need to charge on the way home tomorrow."

But extending the range can help even for medium distance round trips. The 4S cause 20% or more range reduction over the Primacy MXM4, which is what the 310 mile claimed range is based on. I also try to keep the battery between 80 and 20% charge. Put them together and I get about 150 miles per charge. So I can visit someone who lives 75 miles away without charging, as long as they don't ask to test drive my car while I'm there. And it's warm outside.

Once it gets warm out maybe it won't be an issue. What I'll probably do is get the 4S and start using the E46 again for longer trips.

Last edited by rumatt; 03-06-2019 at 09:43 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote