View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

Actually considering an I-Pace

I think we all discussed this car when it came out and sort of dismissed it due to the range not being great, etc. At the time, I didn't really love the design either. 3 years later, it should be even more irrelevant given the plethora of long range EVs available now.

Anyway, I walked by one the other day and realized that I actually liked the design of it. Decided to do some research on it and really liked the specs/packaging of it. Only 184" long but good interior/cargo room. Crossover-ish styling but with air suspension you can achieve a more sedan like ride height. Most reviews praise the handling and ride quality as well. 0-60 in about 4 seconds isn't as fast some in this price range but realistically more than quick enough. Most tests seem to put it at about 250 real world miles in terms of range; similar to most of the recent crop of EVs..actually better than some such as E-tron and Taycan CT. Downside is peak charging speed, but again, many of the real world tests put it in the same ballpark as all but the charging champions (E-tron and Taycan). Also the infotainment isn't the best- but Im used to that now. Plus, the reality is, we only drive about 1000 miles a year worth of road trips that would even require DC fast charging.

It also occurred to me that it would keep a lot of what I've grown to love about the Range Rover Sport: extremely comfortable seats, good ride quality, natural steering feel/weight, great brakes, solid build quality, and generally high quality/pleasing interior design but in an EV package with much lower running cossts. Seems like a small thing but I also like that it still has physical knobs for climate and volume. I guess having survived Land Rover ownership with only a few minor gltiches, I'm not as scared of JLR products as I might once have been from a reliability standpoint.

They seem to have simplified the lineup down to just 1 model and have lowered the price vs past years. When all is said and done, I think I could get one the way I'd want it out the door in the low 60s (factoring in tax credits). That compares favorably with my other 2 runner ups for nice daily drivers in this price range: X3 40i and S5 sportback. While the infotainment system won't be as slick in the Jag and road trips won't be quite as easy, I think overall I'd be happier 95% of the time. Honestly, none of the other sub 70k EVs really appeal time; they all have major dealbreakers. Q4 came the closest to being acceptable but upon further research Im not sure I'd be happy with it. The big etron SUV would be even more luxury/comfort oriented but too much of a big, heavy boat.

A Taycan CT would still be my dream daily driver, but at 100k+ it really leaves me no room in the budget for 2nd car (and spec-wise the Jag actually exceeds the "CT4" in nearly every way other than charging speed). I may still decide to spend much less and just get a GTI...but the new one has several characteristics that could be deal breakers. And while its cheaper and probably more fun, I think the reality is that I'd be happier spendinhg more on a daily driver that provides better comfort/ride quality/convenience and less on a sports car that I'd only get to use occasionally. Anyway just random musings for the day.

flamesuit on...

Last edited by robg; 10-22-2021 at 05:29 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote