Thread: M3 vs. GTI
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #20
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I've had three, actually. But yeah, I get that. It's the same thing that keeps me jonesing for a 911 even though there's no rational reason to buy one.

Re: Tesla Model 3--I suspect that, waiting lists aside, by late 2018 you'll be able to get one without much trouble. But even a CPO Model S might fit your bill.

Here is a production-ready Model 3. Full scale production is supposed to start in June.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-tesla-mode...und-1793607211
Cool Thanks.

Some things that give me pause about the Model 3:

-Isn't it a PITA to deal with bodywork?
-It will be early in the production cycle. Admittedly they learned a lot from the Model S (you'd think), but still.
-My wife is still uneasy about having only one car that has "unlimited" range. Yes, the Model 3 dwarfs the eGolf in terms of range, plus superchargers and all that. But as the kids are older now, the M3 could take her/us to Montreal in comfort for a weekend instead of having t take up the LR4, or in a pinch if the LR4 is not available.
-I'm not in love with the Tesla design language. It's sleek, but not awesome.
-I feel I'll have a lifetime of hybrid or electric cars. Do I want to pass up one of the last good 6MT, IC sedans?

That said, given my commute and the amount of short drives, for all the reasons we like the eGolf, a Tesla would be great. Also, drama-free, awesome acceleration is fun. And I love not having to warm up, etc., etc.

I'd have to see and drive one. I am lucky to have a Tesla dealership ~3 miles from home.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote