View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 04:36 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Why not just keep the GTI? It seems perfect for that use case, except that you still have to put gas in it. From a freeway slog standpoint, what's the point of having something expensive?
The GTI is great. And keeping it is an option. But the plan would be to leave that at home for combined use by my wife and the boys. Our oldest gets his license in less than a year. The LR4 will also be around.

Nothing wrong with the GTI, but I am the highest ranking person that is in the office everyday, and I find myself somewhat frequently giving a ride to people (particularly, on occasion, key customers) and it's a bit tight in the GTI. There is also the unfortunate perception in the US of a hatchback, especially a GTI that gives off boy racer vibes. I've gotten a few comments I did not get with the M3.

Our boys are also growing and I could use more room, hence considering an E53. But these are all minor points. Continuing to commute in the GTI beyond 4 years is an option.

The E53 reviews are excellent. https://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-amg/e53-2019
FC is offline   Reply With Quote