View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I'm not sure if I'm BMW's number one fan, but I am definitely my mechanic's (an indy BMW guy). The wheel vibration is maddening, and of course it manifests itself between 30 and 60mph (basically the entire spectrum of 90% of my driving speed). I'd have gotten it address immediately, if I wasn't planning on putting new snows on these wheels and getting new summer wheels in the spring. It seemed like a waste of time and money to take it in knowing I'd be back in a month.

As for the F30, it was disappointing in it's lack of 3edness. It is big and wide, it felt like a more disconnected version of the e60. I think a manual transmission would fix some of it, but I don't know if it will fix enough. I'd be curious to see how the new M3 is, I think best case it would be an updated e39 M5. The 2 series has potential to deliver on the old BMW promise.
balance the tires --that should do it. otherwise, check the control arms and such.

the wagon is not in its element on backcountry roads. it's better as a guided missile on the highway. if you cruise at 80mph, you should be greater than 25mpg with 450mi range. that is its strength.

the awd system works extremely well even with all season tires (used extensively last winter). it's so heavy that it can do anything. and if you even want to use hill descent, that works well, too.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote