View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Fancy Shocks on Trucks

I really like the Colorado, but the one thing that is not good is the ride quality on rough roads. The shocks are shit, and it's really starting to annoy me.

The cool kids seem to be buying custom valved external reservoir shocks from places like Accutune. I don't need a big lift or the ability to do high-speed baja-ing, but as you would expect, they claim the better shocks translate to better ride quality on rough roads as well.

It'll end up being like $2500 for the non-compression adjustable (in the truck world "adjustable" usually means height adjustable.) For $700 more you can get both high- and low-speed compression adjustments.

Rebound is never adjustable. Apparently trucks and cars are very different beasts. The folks at Accutune said that on trucks the focus is on keeping the wheel on the ground. Truck suspension has a lot of travel and you want the wheel to go down into the hole ASAP, then control it on the way up. You contain body roll using low-speed compression and sway bars instead.

It's a lot of money so I'm not sure I'm going to do it. But I'm tempted.

That or trade it in on a new Ram Rebel. (Then in 6 months I can post asking about suspensions for my Ram )

Last edited by rumatt; 01-14-2019 at 01:08 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote