View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #340
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
These articles suggest to me strong evidence that the 3 was rushed through the design process. Which is consistent with everything else we've heard about the 3. It's interesting because the Model S really has proven to be an excellent car.

I really like the idea behind the car. There are just too many design decisions that long-term I think will play out to be mistakes. Moving primary controls to the touch screen / steering wheel multifunction switches. Lack of traditional gauges. The odd styling. This fiasco with the brakes. It just all seems half-baked.

If they survive (and I hope they do), the next-gen 3 will probably be really great. But this one is not for me.

Not that I care, but I told people a couple of years ago that while I truly admire what Tesla has done because it is not easy, they really had a precious window in which to prove themselves as a volume manufacturer.

I think it has taken them too long. Look at the eGolf. The car has been flawless and it was a first-year car. That's because all VW had to worry about was learning how to implement electric power. They already knew how to make cars. That's not the case for Tesla.

In a couple of years Tesla will not be the only game in town and it will have to compete with prestigious car makers for that (growing) slice of the pie.

No Lexus/MB/BMW/LR/Audi/Jaguar buyer would put up with this nonsense. Tesla people do because they are cool and new. That won't be the case for long. I wish Tesla the best, but they need to grow VERY fast with good-quality products to hope to be profitable. I think they will run out of time. They are already starting to see dwindling credits in the horizon. Wait until Mercedes at. al. put out a Tesla competitor with a $7500 Fed credit that Tesla can't have.

I hope I'm wrong.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote