View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

100k garage; what would you buy?

100k sounds like a lot of money and it is. The conventional wisdom is probably to divide that up amongst several cars: maybe an SUV + sports car. Or even 3 cars. You could have a "collection" of beaters as well for that money.

I started thinking about that amount because I'm confronted with it when I start thinking about cars I want and like such as the Taycan Cross Turismo and 911 (doesn't seem to matter what 911 we're tlaking about at this point since they all seem to come close or exceed 100k).

Curious to hear what you guys would do / have done.

Here are some ideas I came up with as possible ways to spend 100k on cars:
-Buy a mk 7 GTI + boxster. Would have to be some form of 981 since I dont want a 4 cyl, and wouldn't be able ot have a 100k GTS as my only car. Don't care for the 987 and earlier. As much as I like and admire both of these cars, it strikes me as odd to spend more money on a car that I would drive less.
-Buy out the RRS at the end of the lease (for around 50k). Buy and FRS or Miata as a "fun car" and keep the change. I dont think there are any Porsches for 50k that I like at this point. Also dont care for the Supra/Z4. As good as the Miata and FRS are, I dont' really have strong desire for them and frankly I wouldn't drive them very often. A variation is to spend around 45-50k on a used s5 sportback or x3 40i (2 other daily driver type cars that I like but if I'm honest I think I actually prefer the RRS to those overall)
-Buy a traditional sport sedan like the Alfa Romeo Quattrofoglio, M3, C63, and keep some change. To be honest none of these really grab me from a design perspective (esp not the M3), and they will all be somewhat annoying as daily drivers due to low fuel econ, stiff rides, etc.
-Buy a traditional luxury sport sedan like an Audi S7 or maybe a slightly used Panamera 4S or M5. Maybe keep a tiny bit of change. Compared with something like a Cross Turismo both of these woudl offer more practicality and comfort but frankly would not be as a fun to drive. They'd both have higher running costs as well.
-Try to make a 911 work as an only car. In theory with roof boxes, etc someone could do this. But I know that it'll get old real fast (atleast for me).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote