View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #15
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I disagree. Musk has been instrumental in how Tesla is "improving the mousetrap". Many of the things that the Model S had from launch are just now starting to be copied by the industry. If he hadn't pushed the teams to think differently, we wouldn't know that there was a "better"...

I'm thinking things like:
- Agile development for both hardware and software. Tesla will make changes when the change is "better" in some way (could be lower cost to them...). Lots of examples of little things -- headliner material, random parts, monthly updates to the software, look and feel of the screens (I went through 3 different layouts in my Model S). The industry still generally focuses on a 4-7 year model cycle, with perhaps a mid-cycle refresh and more limited changes like what is or isn't included in an option package on a model year basis). I think Ford is now doing OTA software updates for the Mach E, but I can't think of any others.

- Thinking through the process to turn on a car. Why is there a start button or key hole? The only Tesla that has that is the original Roadster

- This may be controversial, but pushing the limits on driver assistance technologies. Every car built since 2014 is gathering data and helping get real-world experience (even if the driver isn't using the features). I've been very impressed with what AutoPilot can do -- and I use it nearly all the time when driving (but I very much pay attention since it is not perfect and the driver does need to take over occasionally)...