Thread: XK8 adventure
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Not sure it would've revved up and not gone anywhere if it was fuel related. Sounds like this is going to be a fun one.
Yeah, that's confusing. It was kinda like a manual trans car with a clutch slipping, but not really. It was very similar to what I remember happened in my Q45 when the engine went on the 405 near LAX 20 years ago. In that case, I never knew what caused that, but it also dumped all its coolant at the time.

Everything similar to what happened that I've found googling and jaguarforums.com'ing has been fixed by replacing the fuel pump, relay and/or filter or resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a bit (or an ECU reflash when the cars were new-ish).

Assuming it's the pump, part that makes it "fun" is the relative inaccessibility of the fuel pump. It sounds like there's an easy-ish way to do it without dropping the tank (or fully dropping it) with some special tools, but you can't see what you're doing and the impression I get is you shouldn't bother with them if you haven't done the tank dropping way so you know what parts are where and how they move around.

After I diagnose a bit more, if I think it's the pump, I'm actually going to call a couple shops for an estimate and figure it out from there. The part is either around $130 or $250 (mid-year part change and not sure which side the VIN falls on), another $30ish for a new fuel filter. Figure I'm charged 3-4 hours labor at a shop at about $100/hr vs an all weekend adventure that probably includes a big fuel spill in my driveway?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote