View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #22
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
What do you not like about your e90 awd wagon?

You need to figure out the Cayman R. Seems like it's not really working for you. What color is it again?

Are you keeping the e46 definitely?
E46: It stays. I like it as a DD.

Cayman: Plan is to sell, but I'm giving myself 1 year with the car (May) before doing so. I'll drive it through the spring and see if anything changes. That should be a good time to sell as well. It's silver - identical to this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVnZnUf0fbY

E91
I'm mixed here. As a snow beater it's been perfect. It's fantastic in the snow on X-ice 3's and hasn't let me down in any way. What I didn't realize was how much I'd be driving it on dry pavement. For example: I'm going somewhere for a long weekend and it might snow on Sunday night - I end up taking the wagon. Or it's been sitting outside for 10 days so I take it to work just to charge the battery and get the fluids moving.

In the dry it's OK, but not particularly inspiring.
  • It's pretty slow.
  • It has mediocre brakes.
  • It handles like a fat pig. This partly fixable. Right now it has 205 snow tires. In hindsight I should have gotten 225's, possibly even performance snows? The Koni adjustable shocks were also set to full soft. I firmed up the fronts and it's much better. I need to adjust the rears as well but it requires removing the shocks and I'm waiting until after snow season in case I break something (like a rusty bolt)
  • It's not that quiet at 70mph+. Something in the front AWD system makes noise at speed. There was a "wheel bearing" issue that JV fixed (turned out to be tire noise from a loose suspension bushing) but the front end still isn't that quiet. (The irony here is that a WRX would be significantly louder. )
  • The cargo space is miserably inconvenient due to a spare tire being in the trunk. I can't even set a big box in the back of the car without being annoyed that there is a tire. You can't get the box fully to the side of the tire (unless you stand it up) and if you set the box on the spare, it slides and tips sideways.
  • I'm tempted to do more preventative maintenance if I'm keeping it - fuel pump, replace rusty brake lines, etc. Which leads me to...
  • It's rusty underneath. I could fix much of the above with $$$, and I'm tempted to do so. But I can't see putting money in a car that has a rusty chassis.

Bottom line: If I keep 3 cars it will likely remain the snow beater. As a second vehicle it can work- I just cant claim it's any fun.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote