View Single Post
Old 09-02-2023, 07:08 AM   #8
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Rob’s info is correct….

The supercharger cost will show on your Hertz receipt — Hertz pulls it from the Tesla API. I had a Model 3 from LGA a few months ago and stopped on the way back to the airport to charge — and the cost was on my receipt from Tesla that came in less than an hour later…

Couple other things to note:
- While it won’t come with a mobile connector, it should come with a J1772 to Tesla adapter for slow charging. I had a 3 rental where that came in handy (was able to charge at an office location I was at that only had J1772 chargers…).
- Hertz does not pay for Tesla’s data plan, so the streaming audio and satellite view maps don’t work — but the nav system and basic maps work fine (you just don’t get the full experience). You might be able tether a phone to the car to get those features to work over Wi-Fi (haven’t tried that though…)
- Hertz also has most of the autopilot features disabled. They do enable autosteer, which is enabled by tapping the drive selector stalk down 2x (1x is just cruise control; up tap cancels cruise and any autopilot)…. So the car will keep you in the lane. But you will have to turn it off to change lanes (the auto lane change feature is disabled).. I can understand why they do this, but it’s weird for Tesla owners.
- Tesla is supposedly testing a way to temporarily add the car to the app to let the app be the key for the duration of the rental (apparently QR-code based — the screen displays the QR code). People are reporting that its working for service loaners now, so perhaps Hertz will get access to it soon…
Thank you for the details. I’m not a high tech person so these things might be lost on me.

I am more curious about the real world range going at LA speeds on the highway. I don’t know at this point what “300 mile range” means. Does it mean you can do 85-90mph over 100-150 miles and still have X miles range left? To solve for X, I need to assess in real world driving.

That would help me understand if 230 mile range is underwhelming or if I really need to hold out for “400 mile range”.

Hope this makes sense how I explained it. The comparators would be GT3 getting 18mpg, the T getting 28mpg or the 987 getting 25 mpg over same circuit and obviously splash and dash is 10 minutes.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote