View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by iateyourcheese View Post
I've been wondering for a while now. Now that a few here have had Boxsters or Caymans (or 911s for that matter), how is maintenance on these cars? Oil change? Spark plugs, etc.? Or are your cars too new?

I just got done changing the plugs on my wife's Subaru flat-4 and it was a terrible experience. The engine bay was obviously not designed with the turbo engine in mind as there is 1" of clearance between the frame rails and the coil packs. Just enough for slim wrenches and small hands. Looking at subaruforester.org, the two hours it took me to change the four plugs was actually on the shorter side. That included removing the intake track, windshield wiper bottle, battery, and other misc. parts just to see the plugs.

Please tell me that Porsche is better with this stuff on the Boxster or Cayman. What sort of access is there to the engine bay? Is it best to come up from underneath the car? How is the oil change?
Sounds a little like the Mazda Millenias, I've heard the spark plug changes on that are a bear to reach the last couple plugs located under the firewall or something along those lines.

Slightly annoyed that on the BMW I had to remove the cabin air intake stuff. Not to bad and once off the spark plug change was a piece of cake. . . quite awesome actually. The Jeep is laughably easy regarding it's access.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote