Thread: Voltswagen
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 10:17 PM   #14
clyde
Chief title editor

When I saw this first developing (yesterday? Sunday?), the first thing characterized it as plans leaking out early which made it sound like an April Fools' gag launching early. I could relate to this pretty well.

In the 90s I was involved in an elaborately planned multi-million dollar ad campaign that included Super Bowl commercials that was intended to launch with a publicity stunt/hoax complete with billboards, full page ads newspaper ads (because print newspapers were still a thing at the time), etc. Things were supposed to build in several major cities over the course of a week (or two? I can't remember now) before a big reveal. Where did it go wrong? The NY Post ran the reveal ad first.

So, seeing this VW thing happen this way reminded me of that...until it started being reported as fact. Maybe? Could be? Stupid, but that's never stopped anyone. Was it as bad as IHOP to IHOB? which IHOP also claimed was a real change? Yes, but more believable.

I don't know why, and I'm sure it's wrong, but I can't shake the feeling that this was maybe meant to be real, but the universal negative reaction is giving them the out to say it was an April Fools' thing that went wrong. I'd like it if that were true, but I'm sure it's not.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote