View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 10:21 PM   #24
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I hadn't really paid much attention to this car given the nosebleed prices of the versions that are out currently. 80k is still a ton of money, but it atleast caused me to go down the rabbit hole of configurators and research.
What are your driving use cases? Did you (pre-covid) you commute to work with a car? How many trips per year? Where and for how many days?

I never used to ask myself these questions for years beyond 1. is it fun to drive 2. how is it for a summer trip? a ski trip? 3. need decent looks, depreciation & reliability.

For an EV, I think I'd need to think a little harder. How long are the trips? How many days stay? Do I go somewhere remote/off the beaten path, or stick to main/busy corridors and stay in modern hotels? I agree that many people overweight their rare trips that they could handle with rentals.

My trips are few as well but my commute is non-existent. If I were perfectly rational, I would not only sell my cars to get an EV, I'd sell the EV, not have a car and only rent / turo / silvercar as needed.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote