View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #1435
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Just had a tour of the ex’s Model Y. Wow. Body panel alignment hell. Assembly is kind of a mess. I hope that’s not the norm, but even a Mazda CX-5 puts it to shame. I’m sure it excels in other areas, but that’s kind of shameful.

I wonder how much correction they can do after the fact...
End-of-quarter deliveries with Tesla have a horrible reputation.

They should be able fix it... Ours was also an end-of-quarter delivery and there were several cosmetic assembly issues (carpets not tucked in correctly in 3 places for example), a misaligned trim piece on one door (turned out to be they installed the left-hand side part on the right side -- so replacing the part was all that was needed), a bad seat belt sensor in the rear (would warn that it was unbuckled when the rear seat was folded), and the rear hatch close button would only register a press about 1/3 of the time. All of those have been fixed, but the car is now in the body shop for paint repairs to fix a bunch of imperfections in the paint (including 2 that were marked but not repaired before it left the factory!).

Tesla really needs to get their initial quality up -- this kind of stuff can ruin their reputation... Its getting worse -- all 3 of ours have had some issues at delivery. The S and 3 only had 2-3 minor issues at delivery, but were not quarter-end deliveries. The Y had a bunch -- if we hadn't been moving in a few weeks, we probably would have refused delivery...

But... None of these have impacted long-term reliability on any of the cars so far. The 3 is holding up real well -- with the only warranty service items on it in the last 2 years and 17k miles being a broken trim clip in the trunk that took a whopping 5 min to fix, and a minor misalignment of one of the door handles (it was no longer flush with the body)...