View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #23
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I would (and am) willing to consider a 987.2 but a few things hold me back:

- I had one (987.1) and had it over a decade ago. To go back to one after all this time somehow feels weird.
- The discount over 981 is nowhere near what it should be, IMO.
- The 981 looks better is much more modern and that ups the likelihood that I'll keep it for a long time.

But to the extent that I am looking for fun first and speed 2nd, maybe I should be more willing to get a late 987.2S.
My rambling wasn't trying to suggest you buy another 987 (though they are insanely good value I think) but rather that it seems odd to have the M3 *and* a 981S. I get that the M3 has seating for four. But you have the Land Rover if you need to play the family truckster role, yeah?

My issue with the M3 is it doesn't know what it wants to be. It's no longer an analog machine that exists for the joy of driving. It's turned into an executive express, devoid of feel, kind of like a big twin turbo V8 Merc. I feel like if that's what you're into, Mercedes just does it a lot better.

Yes, I still have my Boxster. It's creeping up on 80,000 miles, I just spent like ten hours doing a thorough detail and ceramic coating on it and kind of keep falling in love with it every time I drive it. I agree with all of equ's points on the 981. It's objectively a better car but it's just somehow less enjoyable to me. Maybe one of the high output versions would change my mind? For $100k or whatever they cost, I'll never know.

I think at this point in my life I'm more interested in building the cars I want to drive rather than buying new expensive stuff that I'll look at every day as delaying my retirement . If I were in FC's shoes I'd sell the M3 and replace it with a GTI - more fun and less stressful to own, and pick up a well-cared-for 987.2S to replace the Miata.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote