Thread: Dial 911
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #1071
Nick M3
Relic

Based on my experience with measuring off of the wheels, I am not convinced that wheels provide a more reliable place to measure than the stands. Many wheels (such as the turbo twists) do not have a reliable spot that you can put the caliper against to measure on the rim. Furthermore, you need a level on your caliper because even a minimal angle there can have a significant impact on the reading.

The stands are MUCH easier to measure with than toe plates because they are hard mounted. All you need to do is pull the tape measures tight to get a precise measurement. No averaging needed. They don't move around, they aren't leaning against a soft tire, and they won't fall off the car.

There are two different places that you measure on the hub stands:

1) Tape measures. This is how you get your actual toe.

2) Thrust angle strings / ruler. The key is to get these the same on each side. In the case of the Porsche, that means that "straight" is about 1/4" in on each side. You are getting these the same on each side, you are not getting them square. Track width doesn't really matter, as long as the hubs themselves are squarable.

However, when you know where you are on #1, you can reference #2 for a live readout of changes as you make them. Something that you simply do not get while working on strings.

The other thing that is nice is that you have a live readout of "trapezoid." The goal is not "square," but rather isosceles trapezoid.

Personally, for me, while I can see a rational argument that strings *could* be more accurate, my experience with these is that the stands are real world much more accurate for me.

I've tried laser strings (horrible - the laser plane loses focus). I've used smart strings. E30s, I just ballpark the tie rods until it drives straight and check my work with toe plates (since the rear is non-adjustable, thrust angle is kind of irrelevant unless you are concerned that a trailing arm is bent).

That said, I know that you are more methodical than I am. I wouldn't be surprised if you're better at this. Strings are a struggle for me.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote